So, in an effort to prep the house for our big move, I’ve been running around doing all of those things that we should have been doing the whole time we lived here, but were too busy sitting on our rumps complaining about having nothing to do and watching movies.
So I haz been kind of busy. Cleaning, sorting, etc. Which reminds me….
May I just take a moment to say, MY WORD the clutter! MY WORD! Scary.
Anyhoos, in the throes of cleaning out, organizing, sorting, chucking, painting, and the like, there’s been a wee bit of repairing. And the first thing on my repair list was the GFC outlet in our kitchen that had kicked the bucket, oh, about 2 months ago. Leaving us a kitchen with only three functioning outlets. Kind of a problem.
So I set out to conquer this outlet, despite my general amnesia when it comes to ninth grade, physics and electrical circuits. Luckily my liberal arts degree saved the day as it taught me the value of Google, YouTube and evaluating your sources. Also, the new outlet came with instructions – very useful. All of these things combined to give me the confidence (or the stupidity) to believe that I could handle this easy, peasy. Plus, I figured worst case I’ll receive slight jolt to perk up the hair do.
Now I won’t bore you with libelous details, but after carefully following the manufacturer’s instructions, consulting my favorite YouTube video and of course TURNING OFF THE POWER, I managed to switch out that sucker of a GFC outlet all by myself Celine!
Victory was mine!
Oh Happy Day!! That lovely little green light is on!
Feeling euphoric and entirely over-confident, next I set out to conquer the broken doorbell. That has literally been broken since we moved in.
We rock at home ownership.
Sadly friends, this is where my tale of victory becomes a tale of woe. First, I correctly installed the doorbell chime after utilizing a similar three prong official research method of manufacturer’s instructions + Google + YouTube.
Alas, No go.
With some more Googling, I determined the problem to lie with the doorbell button instead. Hurriedly, I set off to the store, purchased a new shiny, button and returned home, where I promptly installed that sucker and optimistically tested the results:
Frustrated, I combed the internets in search of a solution. Eventually, I consulted the book of face where a good friend, Handy Manny of Old Married’s, informed me that the problem probably centered around a faulty transformer.
Inspired by Handy Mandy’s hunch, I set out to reclaim my victorious throne of DIY homecoming queen.
Only to have the blasted transformer thwart me again.
Y’ALL! I CAN”T FIND THE DERN THING!!!
I have searched the attic, the garage, every closet and cabinet, the entire house high and low. I even went outside to look around near the furnace and the electrical panel.
No such luck.
Tomorrow, I plan on asking Neighbor Bob if he knows where it might be since our houses are similar in design. Which leaves this post in a “to be continued” status, mocking me and my to do list endlessly.
Doorbell Transfomer, you may have won the battle, but I will win the war.
To Be Continued!